Chicken with Tomato Sauce
Here’s one of Team FitNice‘s favorite pre-race meals, and it’s part of our pre-race nutrition plan before just about every event. This delicious and filling plate is packed with carbs and good-for-you proteins while low on fat. To make it even better, this Chicken with Tomato Sauce recipe also contains a few servings of veggies. Use whole wheat pasta, low sodium and organic tomato sauce to make this dinner as healthy as possible.
*While we usually try to post low carb recipes for you, sometimes the extra energy they provide is something we all need, especially before a big, or long, race. The two most important things to remember about carbs are to be careful how many, and when, we eat them and that they’re whole grains.*
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
2 cups boneless, skinless chicken, cubed
2 cups whole grain fettucine or linguine
2 cups low sodium, organic tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon seasoning, Italian or oregano
1. Brown chicken in large skillet
2. Bring water to boil and add pasta
3. Once chicken is browned, add tomato sauce and basil, simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
4. Drain pasta and flavor with butter
5. Top pasta with chicken and sprinkle with desired seasonings.