Everyone knows salad is a great choice for a healthy meal, but they can also get boring or heavy on calories when you add cheeses and dressings. The nutrient rich kale in this Winter Squash and Kale Salad is a great alternative to plain lettuce, but can also be a tricky salad base because of its large leafy stems that sometimes feel like you’re eating a topiary. It avoid that feeling, try slicing the kale into smaller strips or tearing it up a bit. With bite sized kale, this Winter Squash and Kale salad is a Team FitNice salad favorite that’s easy to put together, light on fats and sure to fill you up.
Winter Squash and Kale Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup yellow squash, sliced in 1/4 inch pieces
6-8 cups loosely packed kale
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced, fresh tomatoes
3/4 cup broccoli, fresh
1/6 cup feta cheese (optional)
4 Tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
1. Brown chicken in 1/8 cup Olive Oil in medium sized sauce pan, then add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
2. In medium sauce pan, saute squash with olive oil and seasonings.
3. Add kale, carrots, broccoli, tomato and cheese to large bowl. Stir.
4. Add chicken and squash to large bowl of salad mix and toss.
5. Dish into 4 large salad bowls and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette before serving.Looking to cut carbs? Decreased to volume of kale included or remove the carrots. Put this good for you and tummy filling Winter Squash and Kale Salad on your meal plan for next week and enjoy!