Homemade Honey Sesame Chicken is a healthy alternative to high calorie, high salt content restaurant style Asian food from P.F. Chang’s or the local, MSG ridden, Chinese take-out. It’s baked, rather than deep fried, which keep calories and fats low, and serving over snow peas instead of white or fried rice helps you stay away from starchy, not-so-good for you dinner dishes. Easy to make at home, Team FitNice loves this simple, but delicious recipe and can’t wait for you to try it!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – cubed
1 cup cornstarch
Salt and pepper as desired
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
Additional sesame seeds for garnish as desired
1. Preheat oven to 325, season cubed chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Place cornstarch in bowl and gently beaten eggs in separate bowl. Coat chicken in cornstarch then cover with egg batter.
3. Brown battered chicken in canola oil over medium heat then place in greased 9×13 baking pan.
4. In medium mixing bowl combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and cornstarch.
5. Douse chicken with sauce and bake 45 minutes, or until cooked through, stirring frequently to cover chicken in sauce.
6. Toss cooked chicken in medium sized mixing bowl with additional sesame seeds, if desired.
7. Serve over edamame or snow peas.That’s your recipe for Honey Sesame Chicken! One of the best things about it is that you can easily substitute white vinegar or olive oil for rice wine vinegar and canola oil, making it accessible even to those who don’t have an exotic spice rack. Remember to keep it healthy by accompanying with greens, like edamame or snow peas, rather than carb heavy rice. Stir some up, serve and enjoy this evening.