Salmon is a great protein for many reasons. Home to omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is a lean, low fat meat that is bursting with benefits. The omega-3 fatty acids are good for heart health and can help lower bad cholesterol while the lean proteins are good for muscles and increasing metabolic rate. You can learn more about the benefits of Omega-3s right here. With its good for you content, salmon is one of Team FitNice’s favorite proteins, and here’s a simple salmon recipe that’s easy to put together and enjoy.
Simple Salmon with Quinoa and Steamed Broccoli
2-4 salmon steaks, thawed (We recommend fresh, but if it’s not available, frozen Alaskan Keta salmon is a good choice. Try to stay away from farmed fish, you can learn more about what is and isn’t farmed here).
1 cup rinsed quinoa
1 1/2 cup water
2 cups broccoli florets
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Add quinoa to water in medium sauce pan, bring to boil.
3) Place broccoli in steamer and place over heat.
4) Put salmon into oven (we like to put it on tin foil for easy clean up) for 16 to 20 minutes, until white fats are visible.
5) Once quinoa has boiled, reduce heat and simmer covered for 12 minutes until water is absorbed.
6) Steam broccoli to taste and remove from heat. Drizzled with butter, if desired.
There it is! A simple salmon recipes that’s good for you and full of healthy nutrients. You can make it your own by topping it off with a dash of soy sauce or replacing the quinoa with another healthy carbohydrate choice like brown rice or amaranth. Pick up some fresh fish today and give this good for you, delicious dinner a try!