Here’s a great weekend meal from Team FitNice that is sure to satisfy any craving for spice. These Baked Chicken Chiles Rellenos are a flexible, healthy way to enjoy a Mexican inspired dinner at home.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/3 cup all purpose flour or cornstarch
3 Tablespoons cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 Tablespoon water
4 ounces (1 can) whole green chile peppers, rinsed, seeded and sliced lengthwise in half
2 ounces low-fat Monterey Jack cheese, cut into six sticks (optional)
2 Tablespoon fresh parsley or cilantro
1/4 Tablespoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons melted butter or margarine
8 ounces (1 jar) medium red salsa
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
2. Place each chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4 of an inch thick with flat side of metal mallet.
3. Combine flour, red pepper and cornmeal in small dish
4. Place egg in a second small dish, add water and lightly beat to combine
5. For each chicken roll, place one chile pepper half and one stick of cheese on the edge of each chicken breast. Season with cilantro and black pepper then fold in and roll chicken up, securing with wooden toothpicks.
6. Dip each chicken roll in egg mixture then coat with flour and cornmeal mixture.
7. Place each chicken roll seam side down in shallow baking pan and drizzle with melted butter.
8. Bake 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve topped with warm salsa over a bed of Mexican rice or quinoa.
Heat these chicken chiles rellenos up with additional peppers, a dash of cayenne powder, hot salsa or spicy rice. Be sure to use low fat cheese, or leave it out of your preparation for an even better-for-you dish. Team FitNice likes these best without cheese and over freshly cooked quinoa and a sprinkling of diced jalapenos. Roll up an oven full of Baked Chicken Chiles Rellenos for your dinner table today and save the extras for a delicious lunch tomorrow.