Here’s a great weeknight recipe that’s rich in protein and simple to put together. Team FitNice loves this shrimp and broccoli stir fry that can be sweetened with teriyaki or toughened up a bit with soy. This recipe uses a few of my favorite veggies but choosing your own favorite vegetables mean it’s sure to make everyone around your table happy.
Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 pound large shrimp, if using raw, peel and devein, tails optional
1 small green or red pepper, bias sliced
1 large carrot, peeled, bias sliced
1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup bias sliced yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup low sodium teriyaki or soy sauce
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1.5 teaspoons sugar (optional)
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cups cooked rice, hot
1. Mix water, teriyaki, vinegar, cornstarch and sugar in bowl and set to side.
2. In wok, heat oil and stir in garlic for 20 seconds. Add pepper, carrot, broccoli and onion. Stir for 3 minutes or until vegetables are cooked to preference. Once vegetables are cooked, remove from wok with slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add teriyaki mix to wok. Heat and stir gently until thick and bubbly. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp is opaque. Stir in vegetables and heat through.
4. Serve over rice.
Be sure to use a low sodium teriyaki or soy to keep this shrimp and broccoli stir fry recipe heart healthy and enjoy it for year to come!
This Steamy Beef Stir Fry is a Team FitNice favorite for it’s simplicity, good-for-you ingredients and easy clean up. Full of vegetables, this is a great week night meal for families on the go, especially when they’re in the mood for Asian inspired cuisine. Better than restaurant made stir fry, this heart healthy Steamy Beef Stir Fry recipe is MSG free and low on sodium.
Steamy Beef Stir Fry
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
1 bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
1 cup sugar snap peas
1 cup chopped broccoli
1/2 cup sliced yellow onion
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon minced ginger
4 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 cups brown rice, cooked
sesame seeds for garnish
1. Whisk teriyaki and sesame oil in large bowl. Add steak, let marinade for 20 minutes in refrigerator.
2. Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over high heat, add beef, setting left over marinade aside, and stir fry for 3 minutes.
3. Remove beef and set to side.
4. Add left over olive oil, saute onions, garlic and ginger until onion edges are browned.
5. Add vegetables and stir fry for 3 minutes.
6. Return beef to wok and add remaining marinade, stir fry for an additional 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
7. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over hot rice.
Healthy and filling, Steamy Beef Stir Fry makes busy nights a little less stressful at meal time. To make this an even quicker dinner, try adding the marinade to the wok when browning the beef, rather than letting it set in the fridge. Warm your stove top tonight with this quick and easy one wok meal that makes great leftovers.