This Quinoa and Bean Chili didn’t really appeal to me when I first saw the recipe, but it is delicious! As a meat eater, I was cautious about it’s vegetarian roots. I usually do my meal prep on Thursday or Friday, and a Sunday recipe is an odd post for me, but I know lots of people do their meal prep on Sunday, and I couldn’t wait to share this one. Filling and bursting with flavor, this meat, fish, poultry, dairy and egg free meal turned out to be one I’m sure I’ll make again. It’s easy, and compared to chilies that required meat to be cooked through, super fast.
Quinoa and Bean Chili
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
3 cups vegetable stock (or water)
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup diced green pepper
3 cloves (1-1/2 teaspoons minced) garlic, chopped
1-1/2 cups frozen corn (2 ears – we like ours off the grill and cooled in the fridge for a day)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1-15oz can Garbonzo beans, drained and rinsed (these can be subbed out for kidney beans, it’s a personal preference)
1-15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2-14.5oz cans diced tomatoes
1-8oz can of tomato sauce
1 packet chili seasoning (like heat? Use hot!)
1) Chop onion, garlic, cilantro and pepper and cut corn from cob, if using non-frozen corn.
2) Bring 2 cups vegetable stock (water) to boil and add quinoa. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Cover and set to side.
3) Preheat large stock pot for 2 minutes then add oil, onion, pepper, garlic, corn and cilantro. Brown lightly.
4) Reduce heat and add beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, the final cup of vegetable stock, chili seasoning and quinoa.
5) Simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring in cilantro if desired.
6) Serve warm with an optional wedge of lime.This Quinoa and Bean Chili is great for lunch or dinner and it freezes wonderfully. It’s the first vegetarian meal I’ve blogged about, and I’m definitely going to add it to the recipes section on the FitNicePT blog. Be sure to check out lots of my other favorite recipes both here and there.
Give this Quinoa and Bean Chili a try and let me know if you like it, too!
Are you a vegetarian? Do you ever have trouble finding new things to make?